As a large open-world game, Genshin Impact has a variety of materials that can be collected for various uses. Players can use materials to make new or better materials, invest materials into character development, create furnishings, and even a few interesting gadgets.
Each material has its own level of difficulty when it comes to obtaining or farming them; however, by the time that players reach The Chasm, they should have at least one of each material.
There are conditions when it comes to obtaining certain materials; therefore, players must be aware of the requirements. This guide will only have a few main topics; however, all of the necessary points of interest will be covered.
In this Genshin Impact materials guide, players can expect to see;
- The different types of materials and their uses.
- How to use the Genshin Impact Enhancement Progression Calculator.
- A brief FAQ section and some final thoughts.
Types of Materials
In the early stages of the game, players will find it difficult to find the exact material they need, especially when they obtain characters from Inazuma before they finish the Archon Quest in the City of Liyue.
Aside from obstacles such as the previously mentioned issue, players should know that there are a few factors to keep in mind when farming for materials, and they are;
- Respawn rate – each material has a different respawn rate; therefore, players must keep a mental log of when they last collected a particular material of immediate need and when they can collect it again. (this is very important when it comes to fishing)
- If players cannot locate or completely farm a particular material, they can always join a co-op world and request permission to collect the materials or steal them and escape (though you won’t be very popular after that one)
- Regional specialties can be found a little faster when players use the interactive map and characters with exploration-related talents to find regional specialties (Klee, Qiqi, Yanfei, Gorou, Tighnari).
- Certain materials are sold by vendors, restaurant workers, specific material gatherers, and at the Bubu pharmacy, which makes them more accessible for newer players.
- Players can send characters out on expeditions to gather resources. Players can use this method to collect materials they are running low on, such as ore, fowl, raw meat, bird egg, sweet flower, and many other items.
I would recommend collecting each and every material that players come across; for this, their exploration team must have a Pyro character (to collect the Mist Flower Corrola and Electro Crystals), a Hydro character (to collect the Flaming Flower Stamen), an Anemo character (to collect Dandelion Seeds), and a Geo character (to break all ores with ease, using a Geo character such as Zhongli makes the ore breaking process very easy).
The above-recommended team comp would help players collect almost every type of material available. The only exception is the Sakura Bloom (as of version 2.8) because it requires interaction with Electro energy to come to its collectible form.
In this section, I will divide the general materials into parts based on the uses or places to collect them. This would help players identify what they are looking for and understand the nature of the material.
Local specialties are materials that must be collected in order to help ascend characters to their next level. These materials have a long respawn rate and can take up to two days to respawn.
However, players must collect these materials as soon as they respawn because, during the early stages of the game, it can become quite frustrating when the resources are limited.
Mondstadt is home to large open spaces, beautiful cliffs overlooking the ocean, and mountains packed with all sorts of monsters, bosses, and of course, plenty of local specialties.
All these specialties can be used to ascend characters from Mondstast; below, I will list the local specialty and the character/ characters that require the mentioned material.
- Calla Lily – Diona, Kaeya
- Cecelia – Albedo, Venti
- Dandelion Seed – Eula, Jean
- Philanemo Mushroom – Klee, Mona, Barbara
- Small Lamp Grass – Diluc, Amber, Fischl
- Valberry – Lisa, Noelle, Rosaria
- Windwheel Aster – Traveler, Bennet, Sucrose
- Wolfhook – Razor
Liyue is home to gorgeous bodies of water, a small island shaped after the remnants of war, and large mountain terrains packed with all sorts of monsters, bosses, and a large number of local specialties.
Liyue makes the gathering aspect of the local specialties a little easier by selling them at Bubu pharmacy. All these specialties can be used to ascend characters from Liyue; below, I will list the local specialty and the character/ characters that require the mentioned material.
- Cor Lapis – Keqing, Zhongli, Chongyun
- Glaze Lily – Ningguang, Yun Jin
- Jueyun Chili – Xiangling
- Noctilucous Jade – Beidou, Yanfei
- Qingxin – Ganyu, Shenhe, Xiao
- Silk Flower – Hu Tao, Xingqui
- Starconch – Tartaglia. Yelan
- Violetgrass – Qiqi, Xinyan
Inazuma is home to a collection of islands; these islands have difficulties of their own, be it monsters or environmental hazards. This makes Inazuma the most challenging place to gather materials, especially on Serai Island and Tatarasuna, before the respective island clearing quests are completed. However, I think Inazuma is the most beautiful nation (as of version 2.8) because each island has its unique terrain, and the monsters change as well.
All these specialties can be used to ascend characters from Inazuma; below, I will list the local specialty and the character/ characters that require the mentioned material.
- Amakumo Fruit – Raiden Shogun
- Crystal Marrow – Aloy. Sayu
- Dendrobium – Kujou Sara
- Fluorescent Fungus – Thoma
- Naku Weed – Yoimiya, Kuki Shinobu
- Onikabuto – Arataki Itto, Heizou
- Sakura Bloom – Ayaka, Ayato
- Sango Pearl – Kokomi, Gorou
- Sea Ganoderma – Kazuha, Yae Miko
Sumeru is the latest nation available, as of version 3.0. Sumeru is home to a diverse variety of wildlife and culture that has not been shown in the game, before its arrival. In a nation filled with lush forests, giant mushroom biomes, and a very exciting upcoming desert area, I would say that Sumeru is the most different from all the nations that we have witnessed so far.
All these specialties can be used to ascend characters from Sumeru; below, I will list the local specialty and the character/ characters that require the mentioned material. Since Sumeru was released recently, we only have a few characters so far.
- Nilotpala Lotus – Tighnari
- Kalpalata Lotus
- Rukkhashave Mushrooms – Collei
Ingredients for Cooking
Cooking plays an essential role in almost every role-playing game. Genshin Impact is no stranger to the mechanic since we are introduced to cooking at an early stage in the game and are constantly provided new recipes and ingredients to prevent players from losing interest in the cooking mechanism.
There are four types of food that can be made from the above ingredients; more information about the types of food will be given in the “Items guide.” However, for now, I will list the possible types of food and their uses;
- Attack Boosting Dishes – These dishes can boost the team’s ATK stats; each recipe is responsible for boosting one stat, either ATK, Crit DMG, or Crit Rate. Only a few recipes can provide multiple buffs. (Can be stacked)
- Defense Boosting Dishes – These dishes can boost the team’s DEF stats; each recipe is responsible for boosting one stat, either Shield strength or the DEF stat. Only a few recipes can provide multiple buffs. (Can be stacked)
- Health Boosting Dishes – These dishes heal the selected character and either increase their health instantly or periodically. (Can be stacked)
- Stamina Boosting Dishes – These dishes replenish the stamina bar; each recipe is responsible for boosting stamina. However, there are different dishes that decrease stamina consumption for sprinting, gliding, climbing, and swimming.
- Revival Dishes – These dishes revive the selected character and enter a cool down following its consumption.
Interesting Read: Comprehensive Genshin Impact Food Guide.
Ore, Weapon Forging, and Item Crafting Material
Ore plays an important role in Genshin Impact when it comes to forging weapons and forging the weapon enhancement materials to level up weapons.
Ores are pretty important for “Request” commissions because there are NPC’s in every nation that asks for ores in order to complete the commission.
Weapon forging is an important mechanic, especially in the early stages of the game. However, towards the latter stages of the game, players tend to rely more on the weapons obtained through the wish system.
Each nation has its own weapon set, and players can forge these weapons after collecting the respective weapon billet and the correct ore.
There are certain items that can be crafted, and these items will help players in various aspects of the game. Items can be forged at the Weapon Forging Station or the Crafting Bench.
Some of the most useful ones are the Resonance Stones (helps locate Oculi), Treasure Compasses (helps locate chests), and the Wind Catcher (creates wind currents).
Check out the following guide to learn all you need to know about Crafting in Genshin Impact.
Fishing is a very underrated mechanism in Genshin Impact, and most players miss out on the rewards that they can get from fishing.
This includes special regional fishing rods, The Catch and its refinement material, and primogems by completing the fishing-related achievements.
Items Used to Fish
Players can craft the fishing bait at the Crafting Bench; each type of bait attracts a different type of fish, so players need to be aware of which type of bait to prepare ahead of their fishing expeditions.
- Fruit Paste Bait (made using Sunsettia and Wheat) – All types of Medaka, Crystalfish, Dawncatcher
- Redrot Bait (made using Dendrobium and Fowl) – All types of Shirakodai, all types of Angelfish
- False Worm Bait (made using Slime Condensate and Berry) – All types of Stickleback
- Fake Fly Bait (made using Sakura Bloom and Horsetail) – All types of Koi, all types of Pufferfish, all types of Ray
- Sugardew Bait (made using Harra Fruit and Sumeru Rose) – All types of Angler, All types of Marlin, Peach of the Deep Waves
Items Obtained by Fishing
Through fishing, players can obtain fish, and players can also find torn pages through fishing in Inazuma. The torn pages form a book when the pages are found and compiled. Players can expect to see the following fish when fishing in Genshin Impact;
- Medaka – Medaka, Aizen Medaka, Glaze Medaka, Sweet Flower Medaka
- Crystalfish and Dawncatcher
- Shirakodai – Brown Shirakodai, Purple Shirakodai, Tea Colored Shirakodai
- Angelfish – Abiding Angelfish, Raimei Angelfish
- Stickleback – Akai Maou, Betta, Lunged Stickleback, Snowstrider, Venomspring Fish
- Golden Koi and Rusty Koi
- Pufferfish and Bitter Pufferfish
- Divda Ray and Formalo Ray
- Angler – True Fruit Angler, Sandstorm Angler, Sunset Angler
- Marline – Haicyon Jade Axe Marlin, Lazurite Axe Marlin
- Peach of the Deep Waves
There are certain fish from the above-mentioned list that appear to be much more difficult to catch than at other times, and these fish are rare ornamental versions of the normal fish.
The ornamental version can be placed in the Serenitea Pot as a furnishing in the pond. They appear under the “Furnishings” tab in the player’s inventory.
Materials Needed for Potion Making and Miscellaneous Materials
Potions play another underrated role in Genshin Impact, and not many players use potions. However, they are quite useful. Players can use potions to protect themselves from elements, and players can also use potions to buff their own elemental damage.
The materials shown above are only a few that we can use to make potions.
We can also see Crystal Core, and this can be used to create Condensed Resin at the Crafting Bench. Players can merge 40 Original Resin and one Crystal Core to form one Condensed Resin.
Condensed Resin will help get double the rewards of Original Resin; therefore, it will reduce the number of times needed to complete Domains or Ley Line Outcrops.
Character Development Materials
EXP Books are needed to level up characters from level 1 to level 90. For players in the latter stages of the game, these books are difficult to come across on a regular basis unless players purchase them in the Realm Depot or continuously farm them through the Ley Line Outcrops.
Players can complete World Quests and event quests/ challenges and also use the EXP Books sparingly to make the character leveling-up process more efficient.
Every time a player kills a monster, it drops a material specific to their species as a reward. These materials can be used to ascend characters, ascend weapons, and upgrade character talent levels, and they can be used in the Parametric Transformer to obtain different materials.
After defeating a Normal Boss, players must exchange 40 Original Resin to obtain the rewards. These rewards contain the Normal Boss drop of the specific boss, Artifacts, Mora, Adventure rank EXP, Companionship EXP, and Elemental Stones of the respective Normal Boss’s element.
Trounce Domain Drops
Trounce Domain bosses are the most difficult bosses in Genshin Impact; rewards from each boss can only be collected once a week, and it resets every Monday. Players must farm these bosses regularly in order to obtain enough resources to upgrade the talent levels of the team.
Character Ascension Material
These materials are needed to ascend characters, and players need to collect 168 of the respective material to max out the character fully. These materials can be collected while players travel across Teyvat; however, certain materials require special interactions to make them obtainable.
- Dandelion Seeds – Players must use Anemo to expose the seeds
- Cor Lapis – Players need to break the Cor Lapis or resonate with it by using Geo based attacks
- Sakura Bloom – Players must interact with this by using Electro energy
Elemental stones are naturally occurring materials that aid in ascending character, they are formed when the Elemental energy converges together. However, these materials can only be collected by defeating Normal Bosses, Trounce Domain Bosses, or by purchasing in certain shops.
Players must collect these materials from the beginning of the game in order to keep up with the number of character ascensions. After all, Genshin Impact will be realeasing a swarm of new characters with every new nation.
Talent Level-Up Material
Talent books are collected after completing Talent Book Domains or by purchasing them in select event item shops. These talent books are necessary to level up a character’s talents from level 1 to level 10; however, at level 10, players must also use one Crown of Insight per talent (rare item) to “Crown” a character.
Serenitea Pot Materials
Furnishing Crafting Material
Crafting and buying furnishings is an important part of the Serenitea Pot because it helps increase the Adeptal Energy when players place furnishings down. These furnishings help increase the amount of Realm Currency that is received as well, allowing players to buy more blueprints or directly purchase more furnishings.
In order to create these furnishings, players need resources, and in this section, I have divided the main parts based on importance.
Wood is the backbone of the furnishing aspect of the Serenitea Pot. The Dyes and Fabric add color and sophistication, and the ores make sturdy items, but the wood-based items are what the majority of the furnishings are built on.
There are different types of wood for different purposes, and these trees are scattered across the available nations, which helps players establish a farming route for these as well. Claymore users and very fast attackers are very proficient in making the wood collection mechanic very efficient.
The types of wood and where to find them will be listed below;
- Aralia Wood – Chinju Forest, Narukami Island, East of the Serpents head
- Bamboo Segment – Bishui Plain, Qingce Village, Yujin Terrace
- Birch Wood – Stormbearer Mountains, Windwail Highland
- Chihua Wood – Any tree that can bear fruit, such as Apples, Lavender Melon, and Sunsettia
- Fir Wood – Galesong Hill, Starfell Valley
- Fragrant Cedar Wood – Brightcrown Mountains, Springvale, Starfell Valley, Wolvendom
- Maple Wood – Ritou, Yashiori Island
- Otogi Wood – This type of wood can be found on every island in Inazuma
- Pine Wood – Dragonspine, City of Mondstadt, Minlin, near the Golden House, near the Kamisato Estate, Ritou, Wuwang Hill
- Sandbearer Wood – Lisha, Minlin, The Chasm
- Yumemiru Wood – Amakane Island, Araumi, Grand Narukami Shrine, Inazuma City
- Adhigama Wood – This type of wood can be found anywhere in Sumeru
- Karmaphala Wood – Port Ormos
- Brightwood Wood – Sumeru City, Port Ormos
Dye and Fabric
Dye and fabric are essential items when it comes to creating furnishings in Genshin Impact. In fact, almost every furnishing item that has vibrant colors is made using dyes. In order to make the dyes and fabric, players need;
- Blue Dye – Mint, Wolfhooks
- Yellow Dye – Berries, Cor Lapis
- Red Dye – Carrots, Sunsettia, Valberry
- Fabric – Silk Flowers
The fabric-making process and the Silk Flower are subtle hints at history as well because, in ancient history, China used to make silk and then make various fabrics out of that. So guess where Silk Flowers are found in Genshin Impact? You guessed correct (hopefully); the Silk Flowers are found in Liyue, which is a region inspired by real-life China.
Creatures of the Realm
Creatures of the Realm are not exactly the typical creatures or animals that we come across in Genshin Impact, instead, these are seeds of plants, berries, and flowers that already exist in the main world. Players can grow these seeds in the Serenitea Pot in an attempt to increase their resources of the particular material or to make their farming routines much more efficient.
Players are also given a gadget called “Seed Dispensary,” this gadget is what allows players to start their planting and growing mechanics in the game. Madame Ping provides players with the Seed Dispensary along with the Serenitea Pot upon completing her quest.
Genshin Impact Interactive Map and Enhancement Progression Calculator
This could be the most helpful tool provided by Genshin Impact because it makes farming items much easier. The Interactive Map can be found online and on the HoyoLabs mobile app, which is available on IOS and Android. The Interactive Map acts as a map that accurately locates and displays every available material along with;
- Statue of the Seven and Waypoint locations.
- Oculi (Anemoculus, Geoculus, Electroculus, Dendroculus) and regional collectible (Crimson Agate, Key Sigils, and Lumenspar) locations.
- Chest (hidden chests as well) locations.
- Seelie locations.
- World mechanism locations.
- Local specialties.
- Shrine of the Depth locations.
- Trounce Domain Boss, Normal Boss, Unusual Hilichurl, and regular enemy spawn locations.
- Fishing spots for specific types of fish.
- Location of specific trees that give wood to make furnishings.
Players can always access the Interactive Map for free and find what they are looking for by filtering the options, and players can also filter by region as well. I use the interactive map once or twice a week to find the Unusual Hilichurls locations and to find the fish required to purchase “Ako’s Sake Vessel,” which is needed to refine “The Catch.”
During my early Genshin Impact days, I used the Interactive Mao to find any Oculi that I missed out on; I used the Resonance Stone of the respective Oculi, then when a particular area was highlighted, I traveled to the highlighted area and used the Interactive Map to locate the missing Oculi accurately.
The Interactive Map will play a significant role initially for many players; however, as players get used to the format and layout of the game, it will be easier to remember the areas where certain materials or enemies can be found.
Enhancement Progression Calculator
The Enhancement Progression Calculator is a relatively new installation to the game, and it can be accessed through the HoYoLabs mobile app, which is available on IOS and Android. The Enhancement Progression Calculator helps players figure out which materials they need to level up or ascend a character, artifact, or weapon.
This tool is very convenient because it provides a personalized, accurate value that is needed to level up a character, artifact, or weapon based on the level of the player’s character, artifact, or weapon.
This is a very large advantage for newer players because it will aid their calculations when they have to start farming for materials. Most of the veteran players will be looking forward to using this when the Sumeru region is released, and they could potentially start farming early if they come across reliable leaks.
Players can always use the Interactive Map and Enhancement Progression Calculator to make their material farming much more efficient by;
- Noting down the exact materials that are needed after using the Enhancement Progression Calculator.
- Locate the above materials through the Interactive Map.
- Note down clusters of the material (such as the Ores or Windwheel Asters) or areas where the material is close by but scattered (such as the Quingxin and Starconch).
- Finally, players can establish a farming route, maximize their farming efficiency, and indirectly save a lot of time.
Question: What should a player do when the inventory reaches its maximum capacity?
Answer: Each section of the player’s inventory comes with a maximum capacity; when this limit is reached, players have the option of deleting the excess items. The excess items will be discarded, but this is not a significant loss because the player will be compensated with Mora based on the rarity of the item discarded.
A maximum of 2000 unique items can be held at a certain time; for example, 1000 berries will not be counted as 1000 items; instead, it will be counted as one item, and the berries will be stored together. Weapons and Artifacts are treated as separate items, and they are given storage spaces of their own, a maximum of 2000 for Weapons and a maximum of 1500 for Artifacts.
Question: Can local specialties be bought in other regions?
Answer: Local specialties are exclusive to their own regions and, therefore, cannot be found in any other region. The only local specialty that can be bought in a different region is the Dandelion Seed. The Dandelion Seed can be bought at Karpillia’s store in Inazuma; the store is in Ritou and goes by the name “Sailing Breeze.” However, only five Dandelion Seeds can be bought every three days, and it is quite expensive, with each Dandelion Seed costing 60,000 Mora.
Question: How does the Parametric Transformer work?
Answer: The Parametric Transformer is a tricky gadget to use because there is no guarantee that players will obtain the desired products and can only increase the chances by giving items that could boost the chances. The purpose of the Parametric Transformer is to convert 150 materials into character development materials. Players need to place the Parametric Transformer on an acceptable surface and select 150 materials to convert.
After this, players need to use elemental energy (via attacks or the environment) to charge the Parametric Transformer energy bar to 100%. Once the energy bar is full, players will automatically obtain the rewards, and the Parametric Transformer will enter a cool down lasting an entire week.
Question: Where should a player craft materials in Genshin Impact?
Answer: Players were introduced to the Crafting Bench (not to be confused with the Crafting Table in Minecraft XD) in the early stages of Genshin Impact. By accessing the Crafting Bench;
Players can convert low-level monster drops to high-tier monster drops; for example, players can convert three Damaged Masks to obtain one Stained Mask, then players can exchange three Stained Masks to obtain one Ominous Mask.
Players can use Dust of Azoth (purchased in Paimon’s Bargain Shop, Stardust Exchange subsection) to convert character ascension material (elemental character ascension stones and Trounce Domain Boss drops) to other forms that are needed.
Players can exchange three unwanted five-star artifacts to obtain one artifact from the desired set; the available sets are Gladiators Finale, Noblesse Oblige, Wanderers Troupe, and Bloodstained Chivalry.
Players can craft Temporary Waypoints, Condensed Resin, fishing bait, Elemental RES increasing potions, and Elemental DMG increasing potions.
Question: What is the easiest way to find materials in Genshin Impact?=
Answer: By using the official Hoyoverse interactive map, which can be found on the official HoYoLab app, available on IOS and Android. The link attached below is the other option to access the Genshin Impact interactive map.
Another alternative is to use characters that have exploration based talents, such as;
• Klee – Displays the local specialties of Mondstadt
• Ningguang – Displays the location of ore veins on the mini-map
• Qiqi – Displays the local specialties of Liyue on the mini-map
• Yanfei – Displays the local specialties of Liyue on the mini-map
• Gorou – Displays the local specialties of Inazuma on the mini-map
• Tighnari – Displays the local specialties of Sumeru on the mini-map
Every game has some form of collectible, and Genshin Impact is no different. Genshin Impact provides players with an opportunity to experience diverse in-game cultures (these cultures are inspired by real-life cultures), various regions, intriguing characters, and all sorts of events.
All of these things are either directly or indirectly linked by different materials because there are many uses behind the materials available in Genshin Impact. Large sprawling nations provide us with different types of wildlife as well, all of which are necessary parts of the game.
There are many materials in Genshin Impact; however, behind each material, there is a different path and different story, which adds to the overall lore and intrigue of the game. Since the materials are responsible for the crafting, forging, and cooking of most items, I could also say that the materials are similar to gears in a machine.