Hobbies are an essential aspect of life that even the most work-obsessed professionals need in their lives. You can work hard, but without recreational activities, you will burn out fast.
You need to establish a healthy work-hard/play-hard ratio if you want longevity in all things that you do. Skateboarding, river rafting, trekking, fishing, whichever activity gives you peace of mind works the best.
However, in the virtual world of Teyvat, you cannot partake in many hobbies besides fishing. I guess when you enlisted with the arduous task of contacting the seven Archons of Teyvat, fun little side projects come second.
However, when you can carve out some time between destroying Abyss Mages, and uncovering the secrets of the land, fishing is a great way to get away from it all.
The fishing system offers players the chance to grab unique rewards, but be warned; the grind is real. After listening to Paimon’s fishing-related dialogue thousands of times, you might reach breaking point.
That being said, I know that all of you Genshin pros out there won’t let this opportunity pass you by. Hence why I’ve come up with this Genshin Fishing guide to ease the burden for you as much as I can.
In this Best Fishing Spots in Genshin Impact Guide, we can stand at fishing spots side-by-side, casting our lines in tandem. We will learn recipes and necessary skills needed to catch exquisite fish, and acquaint ourselves with the best spots available in the game.
I’ve curated handy routes that you can follow to easily catch all the fish species. What are you waiting for, Traveler? Bait that line, and reel them in!
Here Comes the Fish
You might have seen weapons like The Catch, which requires exchanging fish from the Inazuma fishing association shop. However, you cannot unlock the fishing mechanic from the get-go.
You must complete the world quest, Exploding Population, to unlock the fishing system and head to the relevant spots to hunt for the fish. Let’s quickly talk about how to unlock the fishing mechanic for the first time.
1. Once you unlock the Serenitea pot system in the game, you are eligible to access the world quest. All you need to do is to interact with Katheryne in Mondstadt. Katheryne informs the Traveler about a commission posted by the fishing association, mentioning a spike in fish activity in the nearby waters.
2. After that, we meet Nantuck, a senior fisherman in the Mondstadt fishing association, who talks about the increasing fish population. Inferring the origin to be a change in the ecological environment, Nantuck mentions the commission posted at the Adventurer’s guild.
With so many fish, the association has difficulty catching them and requires sufficient manpower. The Traveler agrees to his invitation. Nantuck instructs them to meet at Springvale, where he’s specially prepared a test for newcomers.
3. Nantuck meets us at Springvale, where plenty of fish is in a water pool. After giving me free equipment and bait to catch the fish, the hunt for an ornamental fish began.
Basically, you have to catch an ornamental fish; otherwise, the quest won’t be completed. If you can’t catch the ornamental fish on the first try near Cider lake, you can try your luck near the Stormbearer mountains. Don’t sweat it; you’ll get the fish.
4. Eventually, you will get the fish, and showing the proof to Nantuck will end the quest. Nantuck praises the Traveler and informs them to swing by in case they need any goods.
World quest, Exploding Population rewards: Mora x 30,000 and Hero’s Wit x 3
Fishing Association Rewards: Exchange Your Fish
These fish are different from the usual Brass you want in bodies of water. You need the patience to catch these fish and exchange them for rewards at different fishing associations.
You have to remember to throw the bait near the fish but not too close to it as it can scare them away. The fish has a cooldown of 72 hours, which means once you catch one, it’ll respawn after 3 days in the real world.
Here are the rewards you can get from exchanging the fish at various Fishing associations:
Mondstadt Fishing Association
- Windtangler Fishing Rod – 20 x Medaka, 20 Aizen Medaka, 20 Venomspine Fish, and 20 Tea-Colored Shirakodai
- Formula: Redrot Bait – 3 x Medaka
- Formula: False Worm Bait – 3 x Medaka
- Formula: Fake Fly Bait – 3 x Medaka
- Fishing Line Stabilizer – 3 x Medaka
Liyue Fishing Association
- Wishmaker Fishing Rod – 20 x Brown Shirakodai, 20 x Betta, 20 x Sweet-Flower Medaka and 20 x Medaka
- Pool of Sapphire Grace – 10 x Medaka
- Fishing Line Stabilizer – 3 x Medaka
Inazuma Fishing Association
- The Catch – 20 x Golden Koi, 20 x Rusty Koi, 6 x Raimei Angelfish
- Naraukawa Ukai Fishing Rod – 20 x Medaka, 20 Glaze Medaka, 20 x Lunged Stickleback and 20 x Purple Shirakodai
- Ako’s Sake Vessel – 10 x Pufferfish, 10 Bitter Pufferfish, and 3 x Raimei Angelfish
- Fishing Line Stabilizer – 3 x Medaka
Sumeru Fishing Association
- End of The Line – 16 x Lazurite Axe Marlin, 4 x Peach of the Deep Waves, and 16 x Halcyon Jade Axe Marlin
- Original Fish Ointment – 8 x Lazurite Axe Marlin, 8 x Halcyon Jade Axe Marlin, and 2 x Peach of the Deep Waves
- Serendipity Fishing Rod – 20 x Sandstorm Angler, 20 x Sunset Cloud Angler, 20 x True Fruit Angler, and 20 x Medaka
- Fishing Line Stabilizer – 3 x Medaka
- Formula: Sugardew Bait – 3 x Medaka
B for Bait
With a total of six baits in the game, you only need five of them to catch the fish. The last, Glowgrass bait, was an event-exclusive bait. You cannot use the same bait for all species of fish.
Unique fishes require specialized bait that you can make at the crafting table. Here’s an organized table of all the fish and their specific baits.
|Fake Fly Bait||Golden Koi||Rusty Koi||Bitter Pufferfish||Pufferfish||Divda Ray||Formalo Ray|
|Redrot Bait||Betta||Lunged Stickleback||Venomspine Fish||Snowstrider||Akai Maou|
|Fruit Paste Bait||Glaze Medaka||Medaka||Sweet-Flower Medaka||Dawncatcher||Aizen Medaka||Crystalfish|
|False Worm Bait||Purple Shirakodai||Brown Shirakodai||Tea-Colored Shirakodai||Raimei Angelfish||Abiding Angelfish|
|Sugardew Bait||Lazurite Axe Marlin||Halcyon Jade Axe Marlin||Sandstorm Angler||Peach of the Deep Waves||True Fruit Angler||Sunset Cloud Angler|
Here are the recipes for the baits:
- Fake Fly Bait ( Pufferfish, Koi, and Rays ) – Sakura Bloom x 1 and Horsetail x 1
- Redrot Bait ( Sticklebacks ) – Dendrobium x 1 and Fowl x 1
- Fruit Paste Bait ( Medakas ) – Sunsettia x 1 and Wheat x 1
- False Worm Bait ( Butterflyfish ) – Slime Condensate x 1 and Berry x 1
- Sugardew Bait ( Anglers and Axe Marlins ) – Harra Fruit x 1 and Sumeru Rose x 1
How to Fish in Genshin Impact
Who doesn’t skip tutorials? I believe most of us do. I want to figure out mechanics on my own, even if it takes me hours to do so. However, if you want guidance, you can rely on them to ease the learning curve. Still, the tutorials sometimes don’t paint a clear picture and confuse the players.
The same is the case with fishing tutorials. They don’t do a good job of explaining the mechanic. Worry not; your senpai is here. Let’s glance over the fishing procedures in the game.
1. Spotting the fishing spots is rather easy, only if you are fishing at night. There’s a unique glow over the fishing spots that indicate a playable area. You can head over to the spot and throw the bait to catch the available fish.
2. If you are on a PC, you have to rely on your mouse to catch the fish. Hoyoverse has made the controls rather easy, so even if you are on mobile, you will be fine. The mechanic isn’t complex at all. I wouldn’t advise fighting near the fish or even gliding above them, as it can scare them away, and you will lose a precious chance to get them.
3. After the fish takes the bait, don’t tap the pull button. Rather keep holding the button and see the tension bar. You have to track the tension bar to successfully catch the fish. Usually, you have to struggle for a few seconds until you get the fish.
Depending on the fish, the tension bar will fluctuate. Some would be tough to catch, while others, like Medakas, will be easier.
4. Here’s a showcase of my fishing session. Do keep in mind that there are some fishing places where you may encounter enemies. I advise taking a detour around the spot and defeating the enemies first. That way, you can easily fish at that spot and not worry about any interference.
5. As for the equipment, if you are facing difficulty in catching the fish, you can buy a fishing stabilizer to help you in catching the fish. Each region has its own fishing rod variant and stabilizer. Attach the stabilizer to the fishing rod and improve your experience.
It depends on you whether you want to purchase and equip stabilizers or not. I got all the fish without any extra equipment. However, the controls on smartphones might be clunky, so it’s better to use stabilizers.
Grab Them All
The Catch is one of the most important items in the whole fishing rewards pool. I reckon most players leave farming fish when they get their hands on the Catch.
Before discussing the various spots where you can get the fish, here’s an infographic I used to catch the fish. Keep an eye on the tension zone to easily grab the fish.
As for the fishing spots, I highly suggest using the Official Genshin Impact Interactive map. I feel it’s better to use the interactive map as you can see the GIFs, spots, and fish types in an instant tap of a button.
As for the fishing rods, it depends on you whether you want to grind more or not. I completed everything without any exquisite fishing rod and could catch the fish just fine.
However, if you plan to exchange the fish for all the rewards, getting regional fishing rods is better. They have better quality-of-life features that can help you catch the fish quickly. You may get event-exclusive fish, baits, and rewards. However, their materials will only last until the duration of the specific event.
On top of that, you can get ornamental fish that you can place in your Serenitea pot. You can have a nice little garden around the fish pond and have plenty of flora to enhance the ecosystem. I hope your Serenitea pot looks better because mine resembles an incarnation of Khaneri’ah’s cataclysm.
Favorite Fishing Spots
Though you can refer to the Official map for fishing spots, here are my top fishing routes. I usually prefer to visit these spots as they are easily accessible. Let’s go over the various fishing routes that you can follow in each region.
There’s no need to go through all the fishing spots, as these routes cover all the available fish in the game. So, even if you strictly stick to these routes, you will be able to obtain all rewards.
Mondstadt Fishing Route
Stormbearer Point – Medaka, Aizen Medaka, Crystalfish, Golden Koi, Tea-Colored Shirakodai, Dawncatcher, and Venomspine Fish
Cider Lake – Aizen Medaka, Crystalfish, Rusty Koi, Tea-Colored Shirakodai, and Venomspine Fish
Windrise – Medaka, Aizen Medaka, Venomspine Fish, and Tea-Colored Shirakodai
Springvale – Medaka, Aizen Medaka, Akai Maou, Tea-Colored Shirakodai, Bitter Pufferfish, Pufferfish, and Venomspine fish
Dawn Winery – Aizen Medaka, Akai Maou, Pufferfish, Bitter Pufferfish, Tea-Colored Shirakodai, Venomspine Fish, and Dawncatcher
Dragonspine – Medaka, Tea-Colored Shirakodai, Venomspine Fish, and Snowstrider
Liyue Fishing Route
Qingce village – Sweet-Flower Medaka, Crystalfish, Bitter Pufferfish, Brown Shirakodai, Betta, and Dawncatcher
To the left of Qingce village – Medaka, Brown Shirakodai, and Betta
To the bottom left of Qingce village – Medaka, Crystalfish, Dawncatcher, and Brown Shirakodai
Stone gate – Medaka, Sweet-Flower Medaka, Dawncatcher, and Brown Shirakodai
Near Wangshuu Inn – Sweet Flower Medaka, Akai Maou, Golden Koi, Brown Shirakodai, Rusty Koi, and Betta
Mingyun village – Sweet Flower Medaka, Akai Maou, Rusty Koi, Golden Koi, Brown Shirakodai, and Betta
Luhua Pool – Sweet-Flower Medaka, Akai Maou, Rusty Koi, Golden Koi, Brown Shirakodai, and Betta
Liyue Harbor – Sweet-Flower Medaka, Crystalfish, Pufferfish, Betta, and Dawncatcher
Liyue Fishing Route 2
Mount Aocang – Medaka, Sweet-Flower Medaka, Crystalfish, Abiding Angelfish, and Dawncatcher
Qingyun Peak – Medaka, Sweet-Flower Medaka, Crystalfish, Brown Shirakodai, Betta, and Dawncatcher
Tianqiu Valley – Medaka, Crystalfish, and Betta
Inazuma Fishing Route
Ritou – Glaze Medaka, Akai Maou, Bitter Pufferfish, Pufferfish, and Lunged Stickleback
Amakane Island – Glaze Medaka, Purple Shirakodai, and Lunged Stickleback
Nazuchi Beach – Medaka, Purple Shirakodai, Bitter Pufferfish, and Lunged Stickleback
Near Kujou Encampment – Raimei Angelfish ( Only at night, 18:00 – 6:00 )
Fort Hiraumi – Glaze Medaka, Akai Maou, Rusty Koi, Golden Koi, Purple Shirakodai, and Lunged Stickleback
Fort Hiraumi – Medaka, Dawncatcher, Pufferfish, Purple Shirakodai, and Crystalfish
Enkanomiya Fishing Route
The Serpent’s Bowels – Divda Ray, Crystalfish, Formalo Ray, and Lunged Stickleback
The Serpent’s Heart – Divda Ray, Purple Shirakodai, Formalo Ray, and Dawncatcher
The Serpent’s Heart 2 – Akai Maou, Formalo Ray, Divda Ray, and Dawncatcher
Sumeru Fishing Route
Mawtiyima Forest – Peach of the Deep Waves, Lazurite Axe Marlin, Halcyon Jade Axe Marlin, and Sunset Cloud Angler
Sumeru City – Sandstorm Angler, Lazurite Axe Marlin, Dawncatcher, and Sunset Cloud Angler
Yazadaha Pool – Akai Maou, True Fruit Angler, Halcyon Jade Axe Marlin, Lazurite Axe Marlin, Sandstorm Angler, and Sunset Cloud Angler
Vimara Village – Medaka, Sandstorm Angler, Lazurite Axe Marlin, Halcyon Jade Axe Marlin, True Fruit Angler, and Sunset Cloud Angler
Devantaka Mountain – True Fruit Angler, Halcyon Jade Axe Marlin, Sunset Cloud Angler, and Dawncatcher
On the outskirts of Devantaka Mountain – Crystalfish, True Fruit Angler, Halcyon Jade Axe Marlin, Lazurite Axe Marlin, Sandstorm Angler, and Sunset Cloud Angler
There are a few achievements that you can obtain while fishing. However, they aren’t that rewarding but showcase your experience.
- “That’s What They Call a Getaway!” – 5 x Primogems – You have to let go of a fish from the hook.
- “Oh, so That’s How You Fish…” – 5 x Primogems – Scare the fish by throwing the bait close to them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How Long did it Take to Obtain the Catch Polearm and Refine it to the Maximum Level?
Answer: I was co-oping with my friends and joining random peoples’ worlds to get the fish. There was an insane rush to get the fish because everyone wanted that polearm for the Raiden Shogun.
In total, it took me around 6-8 hours to farm the fish. It’s definitely not an easy task because of the RNG mechanic. Sometimes the fish would be there, but not the ones I wanted.
Question: Should I Get Both Weapons, End of the Line and The Catch?
Answer: I recommend farming for The Catch, as it’s one of the best polearm weapons in the game.
The End of the Line can easily be outclassed by other 4-star Claymores, so it’s better to stick with the ones you already have than farming for this specific Claymore. If you are a completionist, then by all means, head straight to the fishing pools.
Question: How much Bait Should I Create for the Fish?
Answer: Don’t stock the bait in your inventory. Trust me; it’s useless to stack redundant baits. I accidentally created a lot of bait and ended up wasting materials. That was a naive mistake I made initially, but now, I only create a few batches to fish/
Question: Is there a Character Whose Passive can Help me out in Fishing?
Answer: Thoma is your buddy in fishing. Well, at least in Inazuma because his passive only works in Inazuma. Thoma’s passive, Snap and Swing, helps him to get a double catch while fishing. Though there’s only a 20 % chance of getting the fish, it’s still better than having no chance. As they say, something is better than nothing.
So Long, and Thanks for All The Fish
While you can rely on online maps for exploration, sometimes it’s better to go on your own. I wouldn’t be surprised if you discover new locations as I do. Unknown fishing spots which haven’t been spotted by the community. You never know what Hoyoverse has got in the bag.
I was on Watatsumi Island when I discovered a new fishing spot that wasn’t marked on any map. Though most sites are secluded, some are wide open in the overworld. Surrounded by exquisite flora, these fishing spots entice the players to relish their beauty and feature special fishes at different times.
Some fishes only appear at night. You can tweak the clock via the Paimon menu to collect them. However, for most rewards, you need that fish that appears in the daytime. As someone who sometimes likes to speedrun the content, I wouldn’t advise grinding the fish for hours; it’s a tedious task to complete in one go.
The Catch is a great weapon; however, it does demand sweat and tears. Awful RNG can make your fishing journey a nightmare. As a Genshin Impact veteran, I’d say take your time, don’t rush the content, and embrace the experience.
That was it for the Best Fishing Spots guide, and I hope you’ll bookmark the routes I’ve suggested. You can follow them on the Official map anytime or modify them to your needs. I’ll soon meet you in yet another exciting guide. Until then, take care, fellow travelers.